Thursday, January 3, 2008

Short update...

Wow. Obama won in Iowa. I think I'm still reeling from the shock. Yeah, I support him, but like many black people it was a sort of guarded hope, because inside my calloused exterior I just had the feeling that "they" wouldn't really support a candidate of color. Of course it's only one state, and smart negative campaigners will attempt to swell (or create) any backlash or buyer's remorse.

Want an example? Of course you do. Count the number of times you hear this "reasonable" position...

Something like, "...but he can't win the south, they're too racist down there, and if he can't win the south then he can't win the election, so I can't vote for him, even though I really want to...".

I'm guessing mid 500's by November...


Back to the future...

I am ecstatic that the younger and progressive stay at home, arm chair pundits, got out of their coffee shops. I sincerely wish that this trend continues. We're the clowns that have to live the consequences of the ridiculous policies our government pursues. It's about damn time we influence the decisions that'll still be affecting us long after the status-quo'ers are in the ground.

If you missed it here's his victory speech...

2 comments:

Muze said...

whoooo hooooo! if he can win a hick lily white state like iowa...the sky's the limit. yay!

Unknown said...

Interesting point...but then in Iowa, I see it more as "pick the black guy 'cause we don't want tno woman up in the white house".

Now, I mostly support Obama (J - it;s still that anti-pro-choice thing that bothers me), but I don't think Iowa was that impressive a win. The stuff he's doing in New Hampshire (a state Clinton should be taking without much effort), that's much more impressive.


The best part is the Republicans are tailspinning so much they can't even compete.